Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This can be a good all in one pan meal if you like. We love this.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 1 lb lean beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 cups cheese
- Brown beef and onion together for about 7 minutes and add green chilis cook for 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, soda, salt and corn stir just to mix.
- In a baking pan, put about 2 T grease and let melt in a 350F degrees oven.
- Now add 1/2 of cornmeal mixture.
- On top of that sprinkle beef mixture, then cheese, add the rest of the cornmeal mixture on top of cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve with hot salsa and sour creme.
A versatile recipe that has potential and with some tweaking would be even better. The hamburger needs more flavor, some taco seasoning or salsa added. My bottom layer of cornbread stayed a bit "loose" and I didnt care for that. Maybe making three layers would be better than just two. The cheese was all at the top of the cornbread and I would have liked it thru out everything. Refried beans would also have been a nice layer to go along with the texture of the corn.
This is very good cornbread. I like to top it with salso and sour creme