Recipe by Katherine in Alberta
I absolutely love this Mexican Corn Bread, the taste is sensational and you will not be disappointed either. Use a cast iron frying pan to bake this in as it gives it the best color. Serve with Mexican rice, salad or refried beans. Everyone always asks me when I am going to make it again...enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening, melted and cooled (or cooking oil)
- 1 (2 cup) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup green jalapeno
- 1⁄4 cup red jalapeno
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Make a well and add eggs, milk, cooled Crisco shortening, creamed corn, jalapenos and peppers.
- Beat until just smooth, do not overbeat.
- Saute the onion in a medium pan.
- In a cast iron pan (10"-12") brown the hamburger, drain and add chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Place hamburger in a bowl until needed.
- Place the cast iron pan into the oven to heat throughly.
- Take it out of the oven and grease the bottom and sides well with Crisco shortening (or oil).
- Otherwise, the cornbread will stick in the pan when it is finished.
- Pour half the cornbread batter into the skillet, next layer the hamburger, then the onions, and grated cheddar cheese.
- Top with the remaining half cornbread batter.
- Bake at 400 for 25- 30 minutes.