Recipe by Dreamgoddess
This is one of the Zaar recipes that I adopted. I hope to make this soon as it looks like a dish my family would enjoy. I’ll edit the recipe accordingly if needed.
Top Review by NashJen
This is fantastic. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I'm glad I gave it a try. The only thing I did differently was to leave out the cilantro b/c I didn't have any on hand. Great textures and a great recipe!
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) jarchunky style salsa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
- light sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make corn cakes, in medium bowl combine corn muffin mix, water and egg until just blended.
- Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Grease large nonstick griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat to get pan hot.
- Make corn cakes in batches using ¼ cup batter for each one and cooking about 2 minutes on each sides, until golden brown (You should have 12 corncakes total).
- In small saucepan stir together black beans, chicken, salsa and cumin.
- Cook over low heat just until heated through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cilantro.
- To serve, place three corn cakes on each plate.
- Top with bean and chicken mixture.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.