Recipe by DidIDoThat?
This is an easy casserole, which can be as spicy as you like, just add jalapeños or stick with green chilies. It very good and full of protein! It can be vegetarian, also, just omit the bacon. It tastes just as good without it!
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 15 1⁄2 ounces corn
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (1/4 cup fresh if you have it)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (can be omitted)
- 6 1⁄4 ounces chicken rice-a-roni, including the seasoning packet
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes (drain them, and save the juice)
- 4 ounces green chilies (drained with juice saved)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup beer, any kind
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, melt butter and sauté onions, corn, cilantro and bacon over medium heat.
- Once the onions are semi transparent, add Rice a Roni, saving the package of seasoning for later.
- Drain beans and rinse them well, discarding the juice.
- Add next ingredient list, saving all the juice from the tomatoes and chilies. Stirring to mix well.
- Add beer to tomato and chili juice to equal 3 cups of liquid. Add liquid to mixture. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 30-60 minutes, or until rice is done.
- Let sit for about five minutes to set and cool, then serve.