Recipe by Kay C.
I took the recipe from Cooking Light and tweaked it a little. The first time I made it by the recipe it was too tart and not spicy enough so the following is what I finally came up with.
Top Review by Eldeevee
This was a great accompaniment to the quesadillas I served it with. I did make a change due to the quality of the limes that I bought to make this recipe - they were very dry so I used the juice of a lemon to bring up the quantity of juice I needed. I also used a vadalia onion instead of the maui. We all enjoyed this recipe and it will be on rotation with my Mexican dishes. Thanks for posting a new favourite.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large maui onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 5 teaspoons light extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon sugar substitute
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cabbage, onion, cilantro and jalapeños in a salad bowl and set aside.
- Combine the lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and sugar and whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved, then pour over the cabbage mixture and serve immediately.
- I do not like this dish as a leftover, it loses it's crispness and clean taste.