Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Wonderful cold soup to start off a summer Mexican fiesta. Garnish it with some chopped chives.
- 1 lb cucumber, peeled,seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a food processor or blender combine the cucumber, broth, cilantro, milk and lemon juice until pureed Season with salt.
- Cover and refrigerate until very cold (you can do the soup a day ahead).
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
I made the recipe as written, and loved it. It was a little foamy, I guess, but I let the soup sit (made it Sunday, then took it all week in my lunch) and the foam settled out. FULL of flavor. Delicious flavor. I also made a Thai variation by substituting coconut milk for milk and lime for lemon, and adding a little curry paste (1 tsp, but could've used more). That worked beautifully as well. Will definitely do both versions again.
This soup is quick and easy! If you add a bit of chopped up fresh ginger root, it adds a nice surprise now and then, too.
My family and I were extremely disappointed in this soup. It was too foamy and lacked flavor. Would never make again...sorry!