Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The avocado's have to be very ripe for this to work right.
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion, such as vidalia
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold chicken broth, all fat removed
- 3 thoroughly ripe avocados
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 drop almond extract (optional)
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and veins removed,cut into very small dice
- 3 -5 tablespoons minced cilantro
- crisp tortilla chips (to accompany)
- Place the onions in a blender or processor and add 1 cup of the puree as fine as possible.
- Peel and chunk in 2 1/2 of the avocados, reserving the remaining half for garnish.
- Puree again, adding broth as necessary.
- Transfer the soup to a large bowl.
- Add any remaining broth the buttermilk to the blender and whirl briefly to pick as much avocado as possible.
- Add to the soup, along with the extract and sugar, if desired.
- Both of these rather surprising ingredients enhance avocado when used in tiny amounts.
- Stir well, taste and adjust the salt.
- The soup may be made to this in advance and refrigerated several hours, but for best flavor allow it to warm up a bit before serving.
- It should be cold but not icy.
- Peel the remaining half avocado cut into very thin slices.
- Divide soup-among six serving bowls and top with the sliced avocado, and coriander.
- Serve accompanied by the tortilla chips.