Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious with a cup of Mexican coffee, this rich-tasting cocoa cake features the cinnamon and almond flavors of traditional Mexican chocolate. For an extra treat, top each serving with lean, lightly spiced whipped cream.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon and ground cinnamon
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, brown sugar, yogurt, vanilla, and almond extract until well blended. Stir in flour mixture and beat just until evenly moistened.
- Pour batter into an 8-inch-square nonstick (or greased regular) baking pan. Bake in a 350-degree F oven until center of cake springs back when lightly pressed (30 to 40 minutes). Let cake cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes; then invert it onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cool. If made ahead, wrap cooled cake airtight and store in a cool place until next day (freeze for longer storage).
- Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over cake. To serve, cut cake into wedges or rectangles. If desired, sift more powdered sugar over each serving; then top with Spiced Cream, if desired.