Recipe by LolaB
Adapted from the Restaurant “Hook Line & Sinker” in Dallas, Texas. While in Dallas on business we run into the always busy Hook Line & Sinker (located at 3103 Lemmon Ave.) and order the Mexican Cocktail our favorite appetizer – you can order it “Spicy” or “Regular”. I have dreams about this appetizer way down in Lake Charles, LA (where I live) – so my boss and I went to duplicate the recipe. One of the waiters shared the tidbit about the “special” sauce! I know it sounds strange to use the soda and ketchup; trust me it is delicious!
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen salad shrimp (Thawed & Drained)
- 3 avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, if desired (or more)
- 1 (12 ounce) can lime soda
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded, & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, Chopped
- 2 limes, one for garnish, one for Pico de Gallo
Directions See How It's Made
- Pico de Gallo: Mix together the chopped tomatoes, onion, minced jalepeno and chopped cilantro then squeese the juice of one lime over mixture. Set aside while preparing other ingredients.
- Secret Sauce: Whisk together in mixing bowl the can of lime soda, bottle of ketchup, teaspoon of Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- Putting together the Mexican Cocktail - Present the Mexican Cocktails in clear medium or tall soda fountain glass or margarita glasses.
- Layer a spoonful of salad shrimp into the bottom of each glass, then spoonful of cubed avocado, and spoonful of Pico de gallo & a little chopped cilantro; repeat until you reach top of glass. Slowly pour sauce mixture over glass contents until you reach ½ inch from top of glass. Garnish with more avocado and lime slice on side of glass. Enjoy!