Recipe by EmilyStrikesAgain
From the Chicago Tribune, a great way to use chorizo!! Easily modified for Italian sausage as well.
Top Review by Pinay0618
Yummy, yummy, yummy! We used hot salsa, 16 ounces of pasta, 3 zucchinis, and some frozen corn - my son like it so much he actually went to the grocery store that same night to buy the ingredients to make some more :)
- 1 lb uncooked chorizo sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth or 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups bottled salsa
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, drained, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 ounces dried vermicelli or 10 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 2⁄3 cup asadero cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro or 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble chorizo into a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat; add garlic. Cook, stirring, until chorizo is browned, about 5 minutes; drain of fat.
- Stir the broth, salsa, chipotle, oregano and cumin into Dutch oven. Raise heat to medium-high; heat to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Cover; cook 15 minutes. Stir in vermicelli and zucchini; cook, uncovered, until vermicelli is tender but firm, 5-10 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup of the mozzarella and cilantro. Transfer to a warm serving dish; sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese; garnish with additional cilantro.