1 hr 10 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This is the stuffing recipe used in my family at Thanksgiving. You can assemble the dressing (up to the baking) up to 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Remove from refrigerator about 3 hours before baking to bring to room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups cornbread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, Mexican-style firm with casings removed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage leaf, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Up to 3 days ahead, bake two 8-inch square pans of your favorite recipe or a boxed mix (you will have a little left over); store airtight at room temperature.
- 2When ready to make the stuffing, in a large frying pan over medium heat, stir chorizo until crumbly and browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 3Return pan to medium-high heat and add butter. When melted, add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Stir until vegetables are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add cilantro, thyme, oregano, and sage; stir for about 1 minute. Add chorizo and 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir just until boiling. Remove from heat.
- 5In a large bowl, combine cornbread cubes and vegetable-chorizo mixture.
- 6Stir until evenly moistened, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. If mixture is too dry for your liking, moisten with additional chicken broth.
- 7Spoon into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Cover and bake in a 450° oven for 10 minutes; uncover and continue to bake until top is browned and dressing is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- 8Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (709 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 55.5 mg
- Sodium 510.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves