Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
From the back of a package of Wolfson salted hog casings. This is Mexican chorizo, NOT spanish chorizo (which is harder and not spicy). Recipe calls for pork, but you can also use all beef chuck, or half of each.
- 10 lbs ground pork butt or 10 lbs pork shoulder or 10 lbs beef chuck or 10 lbs beef, and pork mix
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons california red chili powder, ground
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or granulated)
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar or 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 (5 ounce) packagewolfson salted natural hog casings
- Combine meat, seasonings and ice water. Mix thoroughly using hands to knead mixture.
- Fill casings loosely, leaving one inch at each end. Tie off casing at each end. Twist into links - about 3 turns. Tie with string.
- Hang 2 hours to dry, then refrigerate.
- Should be used within 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.