Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love finding lighter side dishes to go with Mexican or southwestern dishes. This one was in Self magazine.
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, chopped (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup jicama, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh corn kernels (frozen is ok)
- 3⁄4 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Put all salad ingredients in a bowl and toss lightly.
- Mix dressing ingredients well in separate bowl and pour over salad. Toss well.
The salad ingredients were amazing; the crunch of the jicama is genius (I julienned it instead of dicing). I thought the dressing lacked a little pop. Wait, I left out the jalapenos so it's not really fair to judge... but either way, I'll be making it again, albeit with a wee bit of tweaking of the dressing.
I followed the recipe only for the dressing, and made a salad of some of the ingredients - just what I had on hand. The salad with all the ingredients looks delicious and I will remember to try it! The dressing was easy to make and unique. I am not sure I liked the sweet flavor from the honey. Next time I will omit the honey and see how I like it. I do like having a unique variation on vinaigrette that pairs nicely with a Mexican meal.
WOW! This was incredible! I plan on making this again and again! I had already made a salad similar to this when I started searching food.com for a Mexican type salad dressing without dairy. I decided to give this one a try. It was VERY good! My husband doesn't care for hot and thought it was a little spicy. I didn't notice the spicy. So, if you don't like things spicy go light on the jalapeno or none at all. Next time I make this I might add some brown rice.