1/1 Photo of Mexican Chocolate Streusel Cake (Pastel De Chocolate Mexicano)
This is a Rick Bayless recipe. I made this for a Mexican themed dinner party and thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I took a bite! Oh soooo good!! Be sure to use Mexican chocolate, as it is different from all others. This cake is best when slightly warm and would go great with vanilla, caramel or cinnamon ice cream, but is also wonderful all by itself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 -19 ounces mexican chocolate, roughly chopped, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (4 1/2 oz)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (8 oz)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (low fat works)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and flour a 13x9-inch pan. Set aside.
- 2Pulse half of the chocolate in a food processor until it is like coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- 3Streusel topping: Add the other half of the chocolate to the processor and pulse until coarse crumbs. Mix the egg yolk with the salt and stir to dissolve the salt. Add to the processor along with the 7 Tbsp butter and 1 cup flour. Pulse until thoroughly combined and crumbly, but not a paste. Set aside.
- 4Cake: Sift together the 1 3/4 cups flour and baking powder. With an electric mixer, on medium speed, combine cream cheese, 1 cup butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, thoroughly mixing between each one. Add the flour mixture and beat for 1 minute, until just mixed. Gently stir in the reserved chopped chocolate, making sure not to overmix.
- 5Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and crumble the streusel evenly over top, breaking up any large lumps.
- 6Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chocolate Streusel Cake (Pastel De Chocolate Mexicano)
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.3
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 219.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 40.8 g
- Protein 8.4 g