Mexican chocolate is known for the addition of cinnamon, and often chile. These deeply chocolaty cookies have a little kick from the cayenne. Adapted from Chow: http://bit.ly/XH9k6Z
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- 2In work bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with flat beater blade, beat butter and both sugars on medium speed until very light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Scrape down bowl and beater with rubber spatula.
- 3Add egg and vanilla and beat on medium until incorporated.
- 4Turn speed down to low and add flour mixture a spoonful at a time. Mix just until combined.
- 5Divide dough in two equal pieces. Form each piece into a log 1-1/2" across. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or up to 3 days. (You can freeze up to 1 month - just thaw in refrigerator overnight before continuing.).
- 6Preheat oven to 350F and place racks in upper middle and lower middle positions.
- 7Slice logs 1/4" thick. Place discs 1/2" apart on 2 baking sheets - you should get about 20 cookies on each sheet.
- 8Bake 6 minutes. Rotate each sheet back-to-front, and swap racks top-to-bottom. Bake another 6-7 minutes, until edges are firm but centers are still soft.
- 9Place sheets on wire racks and cool 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool complete. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chocolate Slice-And-Bake Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.1
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.7 mg
- Sodium 26.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g