Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
The perfect ending for your next fiesta! cooking time includes chill time... From Gourmet Magazine 2009
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1. Whisk together brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a heavy medium saucepan, then whisk in almond milk.
- 2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking often, then boil, whisking, 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- 3. Chill in a bowl, surface covered with a piece of buttered wax paper, until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours.
Made exactly as written with ingredients listed and had a rich, chocolately pudding that set up perfectly. The taste of the cinnamon is quite prominent so, if you're not a fan, you can hold back on that (but then it wouldn't be Mexican chocolate pudding, would it?) This is not overly sweet, just very rich. Served with some whipped cream on top and was very pleasantly satisfied. Made for ZWT5 by a Groovy GastroGnome.
We really liked the flavor of the cinnamon with the creamy chocolate pudding. I used regular milk because that's what I had on hand and it worked out nicely. Mine set up just fine. Thanks for a keeper! Made for ZWT5 for the Kitchen Witches.
Not sure what I did that was different from the previous reviewer, but this pudding set up pretty well for me & was definitely a spoonable dessert! Really enjoyed the combo of chocolate & cinnamon along with the almond milk ~ VERY, VERY NICE! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the ZINGO portion of Zaar World Tour 5]