Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For Zaar Tour - Mexico Note: if serving ice cream more than 24 hours after preparation use almond extract instead of the toasted almonds. Prep time does not include freezing time - overnight or for several hours. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (July 1985)
- In a double boiler over simmering water melt chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove top part of double boiler.
- In a saucepan bring half and half and cream to a boil.
- In a large bowl whisk egg yolks until foamy.
- In a small bowl or cup combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Slowly add sugar/cinnamon to egg yolks, whisking until mixture is thick and lemon colored.
- Whisk half and half mixture into yolks.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over low heat until thick (7-10 minutes). Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla (if using almond extract add with vanilla).
- Cover and chill for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.
- Add almonds (if using).
- Freeze in covered container overnight or for several hours.
- Let ice cream soften slightly before serving.