Recipe by Witch Doctor
Not like the Flan you normally get in Restaurants! The cream chees gives it a texture unlike that of ordinary flan. Be sure to use the mexican chocolate, it gives a much more flavorful taste to the flan.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (Carnation)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (Carnation)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 ounces unsweetened mexican chocolate, chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon mexican vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high, boil, without stirring, for about 15 minutes or until caramel-colored. Quickly pour over bottom and sides of twelve 6 ounce ramekins or custard cups (if syrup hardens, soften over low heat.).
- Heat evaporated milk in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped chocolate until melted.
- Place evaporated milk and chocolate mixture, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, butter, eggs and vanilla extract in blender; cover. Blend well. Pour mixture into prepared custard cups. Arrange in 1 or 2 large baking pans; fill pans with hot water to 1 inch depths.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Run knife around rims; gently shake to loosen. Invert onto serving dishes.