1/2 Photos of Mexican Chocolate-Cherry Rounds
2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Rich chocolate cookies get some Mexican flair when spiced up with cinnamon, cloves and cayenne pepper. Blanched almonds or pistachios can be used instead of cherries. I make these every year for Christmas and they're always a hit. Prep time includes chilling
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 60 candied cherries, halves
- 1Stir chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water until smooth; cool.
- 2Combine flour and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl.
- 3Using electric mixer, beat 1 3/4 cups sugar and butter in large bowl until light.
- 4Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla and chocolate.
- 5Gradually add dry ingredients, beating just until combined.
- 6Chill dough until firm, about 2 hours.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets.
- 9Place powdered sugar in shallow pan.
- 10Form dough into 1-inch balls.
- 11Roll each ball in sugar to coat; shake off excess sugar.
- 12Arrange cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- 13Press 1 cherry half into center of each cookie.
- 14Bake until cookies puff and crack but are still soft, about 10 minutes.
- 15Transfer cookies to rack and cool completely.
- 16(Cookies can be prepared ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.).
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chocolate-Cherry Rounds
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.6
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 111.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: