1 hr 40 mins
Susan Doyle's Note:
Delicious, requested in your newsletter. It is from Bon Apetit, February 1995
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Butter and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- 3Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- 4Whisk buttermilk, butter, and cocoa powder in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat until butter melts.
- 5Pour over flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- 6Add eggs and vanilla; whisk to blend.
- 7Pout into pan.
- 8Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- 9Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- 10Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake.
- 11Turn cake out onto platter.
- 12Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 13Press enough pecans onto sides of cake to cover.
- 14Sprinkle cake with remaining pecans.
- 15(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature.) For Frosting: Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 16Add cocoa, buttermilk, espresso powder, vanilla, and cinnamon; whisk until smooth.
- 17Remove from heat.
- 18Place powdered sugar in bowl.
- 19Pour hot cocoa mixture over.
- 20Using electric mixer, beat until smooth.
- 21Use immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.2
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 97.7 mg
- Sodium 211.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 73.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g