Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Mom found this recipe in the local newspaper years ago. Now I make this for my family! The cinnamon makes it yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (place 1 ½ teaspoons vinegar in a half cup measuring cup and fill cup with milk to equal ½ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter, oil, cocoa and water in a saucepan and heat until butter is melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add melted butter mixture to the flour mixture and blend.
- Pour batter into a greased 9X13X2-inch baking pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until done.
- While cake is still hot, ice cake.
- For icing, combine butter, cocoa and milk in a saucepan and heat until bubbly around the edge.
- Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, vanilla, and pecans.
This cake is supermoist and unique. This same recipe I initially found in one of my cookbooks under "Southwest Chocolate Cake". The only difference was that the cookbook called for the addition of a 1/2 t. salt in the cake batter.
I too (per other reviewers) have used the sour milk method vs. using buttermilk with success. I felt this cake called for a lot of sugar, so I did reduce the original 2 c.called for by a half cup. It was still very sweet. The topping my cookbook calls for is also identical, with the exception that it calls for 7 oz. canned coconut. Try it, I think you'll like it!
Awesome cake! The cinnamon flavor is really good. I made this for a family gathering and everyone raved about it. Made for ZWT3 2007.
The cake was great!!! The chef kids preparing the dessert found the recipe easy to read and follow. Our guest were in awe of the flavor and the presentation. Thanks for such a great recipe.