Recipe by Making Stuff
"This moist and delicious chocolate cake gets an extra kick from the cinnamon and cayenne." From VegCooking.
Top Review by rnlaurent
Let me tell you, this cake is a far cry from being "moist or delicious". After reading the recipe I thought it would be fun to make for the Mexican-Styled Party we were attending. Everyone at the party had a very small pierce of the cake and no one said it was good because it wasn't. If you are looking for a so-so brownie recipe and not a cake recipe than this is the recipe for you.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Stir in the cinnamon, cayenne, vanilla, vinegar, oil, and water. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Dust with the confectioners’ sugar before serving.
- Note: This recipe goes great with a spicy dark-chocolate sauce. To make the sauce, melt 2 squares of dark chocolate with 1/4 cup water or soy milk. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons vegan margarine, 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and cayenne pepper, to taste.