Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Now that's a soup.
- 2 ancho chilies
- 3 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 small onion, thickly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lean bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- cilantro, to serve
- Preheat the grill to a high heat. Toast the whole chillies, turning often to avoid burning (blackening). Remove the chilli seeds and stems, reserving them in case you want to increase the heat of the soup later. Soak the chillies in 1 cup of the stock for 10 minutes then blend the chilli and stock mixture until smooth in a food processor or blender.
- Char the onion slices and whole garlic clove all over. Peel the garlic clove after cooling a few minutes. Char the tomato slices then chop roughly.
- Blend the onion, tomato and peeled garlic clove with 2 cups of the stock until smooth and add to the chilli mixture.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a pan then fry the chopped bacon. After a minute or two, add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Blend the bacon and mushroom mixture with the ricotta in the remaining cup of stock. Combine with the rest of the soup in a large pan and reheat for about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with the fresh coriander.