Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A nutritious and spicy chickpea salad from the Moosewood Daily Special.
- 1 -2 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas (16 oz can, drained)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- ground black pepper
- In a small skilled or saucepan on low heat, sauté the chilies in the olive oil for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly, until the chilies are soft and the garlic is just golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper in a serving bowl. Add chilies and garlic with their sautéing oil and toss well. Serve immediately or chill to allow flavours to develop.
First sorry I changed the lime for lemon as I thought like always I had some on hand yet I forgot last shopping they were an outrageous price so I didn't purchase any. I changed the jalapeno for cayenne powder to taste adding it to the garlic. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil, canned chickpeas, grape tomatoes I ripened up in their box on top of the refrigerator during the winter, I changed the red onion for sweet white onion as that is what we prefer, used sea salt, plus the rest. We ate it immediately and enjoyed it even though we don't usually go for spicy! Made for Veggie Swap 31 ~ February 2011.
Healthy, fresh, easy to make and super yummy-what more could you ask for?! This salad was sooo good!
I had cooked a mix of white beans and chickpeas and was looking for a light dinner, so this came in super handy. As I dont like cilantro, I simply left it out.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great recipe with us, Kat!
Made and reviewed for my chosen chef during Veggie Swap #31 February 2011.
This chickpea dish is so flavorful! It went very well with steak from the grill tonight and another one of Katzen's recipes, Cheesy & Seedy Jalapeno Bread (Abm). The lime juice and fresh cilantro went just right with the sauteed jalapeno and garlic. We love chickpea salads; I'm sure this one will appear again at our table, especially when jalapeno's are ready in the garden, as they have so much flavor!