Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You can use 1/4 teaspoon chili powder instead of cumin if you like, but I love the cumin. If you prefer your bell peppers more crunchy, add them the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- Layer squash, bell pepper and chicken in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker. Mix tomatoes, salsa, raisins, cinnamon, and cumin, pour over chicken mixture.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 7-8 hours or until squash is tender and juice of chicken is no longer pink when center is cut.
- Mix rice and chiles.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from cooker, usaing slotted spoon. Serve on rice. Stir sauce in cooker, spoon over chicken and vegetables.