Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I made up after trying a similar soup at a Mexican restaurant. A friend of mine that owns a small bar & restaurant liked this recipe so much, he now serves it at his place! This soup is quick & easy to make with ingredients off of your pantry shelves - enjoy!
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives, drained,pitted and chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice (any kind you like)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (your choice)
- Put the chicken broth, onion, green and red peppers, into a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and heat through.
Didn't use the olives, but otherwise pretty much followed the recipe. Used two chicken breasts - might use one more next time. Also, just added about 3/4 cup uncooked rice and let it boil for a while. Added a few sprinkles of cumin. Spicy, but we like it that way!
Well, my husband gave me a kiss for this one!!! It is good. Being from Texas though, had to add a liitle bit to it.Added some cilantro, dash of cumin and I have discovered smoked paprika which is so good!!! But it's a recipe that would fine on it's own.
Obviously your friend who is serving this recipe of yours in his restaurant knows a good soup when he tastes it! Great soup and one I'll be repeating. Although I love olives I only added about a quarter of a cup. Loved the red pepper flakes and passed the hot sauce at the table. This family of soup lovers thank you Key Wee for sharing your recipe. I have added it to my soup collection.