Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that I originally found in "Taste of Home" magazine in 2000. I have changed it a little to fit my families tastes. I have also entered my version in the NC Turkey Cooking Contest this year........Wouldn't it be great if I won?? :-)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 packages grated Mexican blend cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, onions, 1 1/2 cups Mexian cheese, garlic, 1/4 teaspoons.
- cumin and cilantro.
- Stir in chicken, set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook& stir for 2 minutes or till thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Monteray Jack cheese, sour cream, green chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in a greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Top with 6 tortillas, (tearing them to fit the pan) 1/3 of the chicken mixture and 1/4 of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat tortilla, chicken and cheese sauce layers twice.
- Top with remaining tortillas, cheese sauce and then top with remaining Mexican cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Missy, this dish was outstanding for our Cinco de Mayo cookathon. We really did enjoy this dish! I used chicken for this dish. The only adjustments I made (personal tastes) was to use 1 Tbsp. cilantro, and 2 cans green chiles. The taste and flavor was wonderful. Thanks for posting, Missy. It will be used again and again.
The Best! Love this recipe. I prefer to use more chicken (5-6 cups). Miss Annie's suggestions sound good, so I'll try those next time. This lasagna is perfectly marvalous.
My family and I loved this recipe. I used left-over turkey from our Thanksgiving dinner. I followed your directions exactly and we all felt like the seasonings were in perfect proportion. I highly recommend this for using left-over turkey. Delicious! Thanks Missy.