Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious and satisfying family meal for 4 people, the first I have ever cooked using black turtle beans. Preparation time does not include soaking and cooking, if dried black beans are used. If choosing the latter, I highly recommend Becky Fenter's Black Beans Black Beans, which I have adapted, slightly (see below).
- 15 ounces cooked black turtle beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel (frozen, or canned)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 3 cups Mexican blend cheese or 3 cups matured cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon commercial ground cumin (or grind a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle)
- salt, freshly ground to taste
- 8 -10 8-inch flour tortillas
- olive oil or butter, to grease lasagne dish
- 4 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse and drain 1 x 15 ounce can of black beans.
- Alternatively, cook 1 cup of dried black beans as per Becky Fenter's Black Bean recipe#22162.
- As I was short of time, I adapted Becky's recipe.
- I followed steps 1 and 2, then used the'quick-soak' method (cover the beans with a generous amount of water, place lid over pot, bring water to the boil, boil 2 minutes, remover lid, and let beans sit one hour, then drain.) Then continue with steps 5 to 8, inclusive, of Becky's recipe, but simmer the beans for two hours, instead of one.
- Do not add any salt during this cooking process or beans will toughen!
- Place drained beans in a large bowl.
- Saute strips of chicken meat, in two batches, in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove from pan and place in the bowl with the beans.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan, add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper, and continue sauteing over moderate heat until just tender.
- Quickly add the corn and cook gently, stirring, until just heated.
- Transfer onion, red pepper and corn mixture, along with 1 1/2 cups of sour cream, 1/2 the grated cheese, Jalapeno peppers, ground cumin and salt to taste, to the bowl with the beans and chicken, and mix well.
- Grease the bottom of a lasagne pan with olive oil or butter.
- Arrange half the tortillas over the bottom of the prepared pan, overlapping slightly if necessary.
- Top tortillas with black bean, chicken and red pepper mixture.
- Place remaining tortillas over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 deg.
- F oven for 40 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve garnished with black olives and fresh cilantro, and hand around the remaining sour cream separately.
This was fabulous!!! Wonderful flavor, very appealing to look at (lots of colors). I used canned beans. I was out of sour cream (oops) so I used cottage cheese put thru the blender with milk. It was like chicken fajitas in a casserole, but without the "mushy casserole" texture. DH and DD#1 say that its a definite "do-again" and both gave it 5 stars.