This is a delicious and satisfying family meal for 4 people, the first I have ever cooked using black turtle beans. Preparation time does not include soaking and cooking, if dried black beans are used. If choosing the latter, I highly recommend Becky Fenter's Black Beans Black Beans, which I have adapted, slightly (see below).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 ounces cooked black turtle beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel (frozen, or canned)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 3 cups Mexican blend cheese or 3 cups matured cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon commercial ground cumin (or grind a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle)
- salt, freshly ground to taste
- 8 -10 8-inch flour tortillas
- olive oil or butter, to grease lasagne dish
- 4 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Rinse and drain 1 x 15 ounce can of black beans.
- 2Alternatively, cook 1 cup of dried black beans as per Becky Fenter's Black Bean Black Beans.
- 3As I was short of time, I adapted Becky's recipe.
- 4I followed steps 1 and 2, then used the'quick-soak' method (cover the beans with a generous amount of water, place lid over pot, bring water to the boil, boil 2 minutes, remover lid, and let beans sit one hour, then drain.) Then continue with steps 5 to 8, inclusive, of Becky's recipe, but simmer the beans for two hours, instead of one.
- 5Do not add any salt during this cooking process or beans will toughen!
- 6Place drained beans in a large bowl.
- 7Saute strips of chicken meat, in two batches, in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 8Remove from pan and place in the bowl with the beans.
- 9Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan, add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- 10Add red pepper, and continue sauteing over moderate heat until just tender.
- 11Quickly add the corn and cook gently, stirring, until just heated.
- 12Transfer onion, red pepper and corn mixture, along with 1 1/2 cups of sour cream, 1/2 the grated cheese, Jalapeno peppers, ground cumin and salt to taste, to the bowl with the beans and chicken, and mix well.
- 13Grease the bottom of a lasagne pan with olive oil or butter.
- 14Arrange half the tortillas over the bottom of the prepared pan, overlapping slightly if necessary.
- 15Top tortillas with black bean, chicken and red pepper mixture.
- 16Place remaining tortillas over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- 17Bake in a pre-heated 350 deg.
- 18F oven for 40 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.
- 19Serve garnished with black olives and fresh cilantro, and hand around the remaining sour cream separately.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (602 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1152.0
- Calories from Fat 625
- Total Fat 69.5 g
- Saturated Fat 35.1 g
- Cholesterol 220.4 mg
- Sodium 1228.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 57.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black turtle beans