Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The Sunday after Thanksgiving (2006), I slipped on a chunk of ice (which I didn't see). I slammed down, landing on my bottom, resulting in 4 broken/fractured ribs! I was in the hospital for 5 days and then in a nursing home for 7 weeks, for rehab and recuperation and until I could do things without much help. The food at the nursing home was good! This is one of the things I had for dinner one night. It was easy to figure out how to make it. It is really good. They made it with chicken breasts but I used chicken thighs. This can be easily multiplied to make more servings. This is good served with rice and beans as side dishes. Prep time does not include shredding the cheese. Allow more time if you need to shred the cheese
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
- 3 whole green chilies (canned)
- 3⁄4 cup salsa (any kind)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used mild)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place thighs in a covered casserole dish.
- Slit each green chile down one side so that they open op.
- Place one green chile on each thigh.
- Place the 3rd green chile over the other 2 chiles.
- Pour salsa over chiles and chicken.
- Put a lid on the dish.
- If you don't have a lid, cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is done and liquids are hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove the lid/foil.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the chicken and chiles.
- Replace the lid/foil and return it to oven.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the liquid is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven.
- The juices from the dish can be used to pour over rice.
- This makes the rice taste really good!
- Serve hot.
I thought this was delicious. The only change I made, was to use Monterey Jack cheese, instead of Cheddar cheese, and to rub taco seasoning on each chicken thigh before proceeding with the recipe.
This was super simple and super delicious. I did make one change, instead of chili's I used black olive. I used a medium chunky salsa and a smoked salsa jack cheese. Served with Jasmine Rice With Garlic, Ginger, and Cilantro and cucumber salad.