Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a fabulous healthy stew that you can make as spicy as you like. Ease back on the amount of jalapeno if you like it less spicy. It is a great meal on a cold night! It is great served with sour cream or a little shredded cheese on top (or both!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lime
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add spices and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, chicken, Worcestershire, and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice into the pot.
- Add white rice and cook 5 minutes longer to warm rice through. Season to taste with salt.
I love this stew. I added 1 can of black beans and 1 can of corn. Freezes well. Thanks.
Very disappointing! Too much tomato, and not enough spices to give it any taste. Will not ever make again.