Recipe by Bergy
Sometimes I add a chopped tomato - nice easy soup with lots of flavour. Some people like to roast the whole cloves of garlic and then remove them when they remove the chillies. You can use dried chillies if you wish. Make it as hot or as mild as you want. Mexican does not have to burn your throat (although I love it that hot!)
- 4 medium carrots, cut lengthwise and then in 3 inch lengths
- 1 yellow zucchini, cut across in 1/4 inch round slices
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and browned on a dry skillet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch cumin
- 2 whole chicken breasts, about 2 lbs total
- 2 dried whole guajillo chilies (hot) or 2 anaheim chilies (mild) or 2 chipotle chiles (very hot)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- lime wedge (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the carrots, stock, browned garlic, oregano, chilies, cumin and salt in a dutch oven (5-quart) and bring to a boil.
- Add the whole chicken breasts, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked, approx 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate to cool about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chillies from the soup and adjust the seasoning.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and tear it into coarse shreds.
- Add zucchini and chicken to the pot simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro and serve in about 2 minutes with wedges of lime on the side.