Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
from Real Simple Magazine
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens (3 1/2 lbs each)
- 4 carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 large yellow onion, halved
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 limes, halved
- Rince the chickens, pat dry with apper towels.
- place the chickents, carrots, onion and salt in a 12-qt pot. Add enough water to cover (about 16 cups).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, about 1 hour. Skim off any foam that appears.
- Transfer chicken to plates; let cool. Remove and discard the carrots and the onion.
- Add rice to broth and simmer 20 minute.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Add the meat and pepper to the broth and heat for 3 minute.
- Scoop the avocados into individual bowls and ladle the soup over the top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and squeeze on the limes.