Recipe by barefootmommawv
I saw this on Barefoot Contessa. Thought it looked good and wanted to post it for safe keeping.
Top Review by Gabesgirl
I have the Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook which includes this recipe and I tried it for the first time today. This is a versatile recipe that combines the best of the traditional Mexican chicken soup and tortilla soup. It was trully delicious. I adjusted the recipe based on what I had on hand and it was marvelous. I added corn (on the cob like traditional Caldo de Pollo) and omitted the jalapeno (was out). Instead I added some red pepper flakes and served with the juice of half a lime, avocado, Mexican blend cheese and a big spoon. Fabulous!
- 2 whole chicken breasts, bone in, skin on (4 split)
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (4 carrots)
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes in puree, crushed
- 2 -4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 6 (6 inch) fresh white corn tortillas
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Place the chicken breasts skin side up on a sheet pan. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until done. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones, and shred the meat. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions starts to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes with their puree, jalapeños, cumin, coriander, 1 tablespoon salt (depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock), 1 teaspoon pepper, and the cilantro, if using.
- Cut the tortillas in half, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and add to the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and season to taste. Serve the soup hot topped with sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips.