Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living Slow Cooker Recipes. Easy to make and quite tasty. I omitted the cumin and found it spicy enough for us. The next time I will used shredded cooked chicken, just personal preference.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- light sour cream (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Lightly coat a large skillet with Nonstick cooking spay and cook chicken over medium heat until brown. Place cooked chicken in 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken soup, water, beans, undrained tomatoes and cumin. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours. If desired top each serving with sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.
- Each serving equals 1 1/2 cups.
This was a really wonderful chicken soup with a distinct Mexican flair to it. Even my kids (who don't normally like spicy dishes) enjoyed this soup. I just had to go a little light on the cumin, to suit their tender taste buds. Thank you, Indiana Debbie. Made for 2009 Fall Pick-A-Chef.