Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw this recipe made on an IGA Supermarkets advertorial recently. I've made quite a few changes to the original recipe to make it quicker and easier and to suit my own tastes. Boy, does it pack a flavour punch! We're not huge chilli fans, but we didn't find the medium hot Taco Sauce too hot, but feel free to use mild if you want, or hot if you dare.
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 2cm squares (approx 1-inch)
- 1 (35 g) packet taco seasoning
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (bottled is fine)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 avocados, cut into 1cm cubes (approx 1/2-inch)
- 2 small tomatoes, roughly diced
- 1 small red onion, roughly diced
- 1 (250 g) can corn kernels
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 (200 g) jar taco sauce (medium hot)
- 8 lettuce leaves or 1 bunch baby rocket
- Cut chicken thighs into large (approx 5cm (2")) cubes.
- Thread capsicum and chicken pieces alternately onto four bamboo skewers, i.e. capsicum/chicken/capsicum/chicken etc.
- Sprinkle lime juice over the chicken skewers, then evenly sprinkle over the Taco Seasoning, making sure to coat all sides.
- Cover and refrigerate while you make the salsa.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine avocado cubes, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, corn kernels and chopped coriander.
- Pour over the jar of Taco Sauce and mix well to combine.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate while you cook the skewers.
- Cook skewers on a barbecue (grill) or in a frypan (using a tablespoon or two of oil) over a medium heat until cooked through (about 8-10 minutes), turning constantly.
- Reserve any left-over lime juice/seasoning on the plate.
- Don't worry if chicken blackens a little, but if it appears to be burning, reduce heat to very low and continue cooking.
- About half way through cooking, tip any leftover lime juice/seasoning that's left on the plate over the top of the skewers.
- To serve, spoon salsa onto a bed of lettuce or rocket leaves.
- Drizzle the skewers with sour cream and serve alongside the salsa.
- Garnish with the reserved coriander.