Use plenty of lime, raw onion and cilantro! You could use vegetable stock here if you prefer (instead of the chicken stock). This is from Mark Bittman's book, :"The Best Recipes in the World."
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion, preferably white
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)
- minced jalapeno (or other chiles, to taste and optional)
- Put stock in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Add rice, some salt and pepper; lower heat so that it just bubbles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetables with chicken, lime juice, cilantro and chiles (if using). Put in the bottom of one large bowl or 4 small ones.
- When the soup is ready, ladle it over the stuff in the bowls. Taste; adjust seasoning if necessary.