Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use plenty of lime, raw onion and cilantro! You could use vegetable stock here if you prefer (instead of the chicken stock). This is from Mark Bittman's book, :"The Best Recipes in the World."
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion, preferably white
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)
- minced jalapeno (or other chiles, to taste and optional)
- Put stock in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Add rice, some salt and pepper; lower heat so that it just bubbles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetables with chicken, lime juice, cilantro and chiles (if using). Put in the bottom of one large bowl or 4 small ones.
- When the soup is ready, ladle it over the stuff in the bowls. Taste; adjust seasoning if necessary.
My sister made this. Heaven on a plate. Couldn't stop eating it. Delicious.
Soup is one of my favorite things to make. This was simple to make and it was just so good. The lime does add such a wonderful flavor to this soup. I will definitely be making this again. It's one of my favorites on the ZWT8. Thanks for sharing.
Light and refreshing, I could live on this! We included 2 jalapenos. This is so light, it would be an excellent first course before a bean burrito; we each had 2 bowls for dinner, and doubled the chicken. I used Pressure Cooker Chicken Fillets, Basis for Savory Pies Etc #195716 to make 6 1/2 cups of thick, gelatinous stock and cook the chicken needed for several Mexican dishes. The full taste of that hearty stock was perfect for this dish. Although my chicken tasted of too much thyme for general purpose, it tasted fine as part of this soup. Although we used 2 jalapenos, this soup had only a hint of heat. Can't wait to have more! Made for The Wild Bunch for ZWT8's visit in Mexico.