Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wow I couldn't believe when I went looking for this on Zaar it wasn't here! This is delicious.
Make and share this Mexican Chicken - Paula and Jamie Deen recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes (can use Ro-Tel tomatoes)
- 4 cups leftover cooked chicken
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch pan with the cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 3 kinds of soup and the tomatoes. Stir in the chicken.
- Layer the tortillas and the chicken mixture in the pan, beginning and ending with tortillas.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
I may or may not make this casserole again. It was okay, but the flour tortillas got really soggy. It tasted better warmed up a couple of hours later, but the next day I had to throw it all away because they were just TOO soggy. The flavor was pretty good, but overall it just didn't fit the bill.
Five stars! With modifications. I used low-fat cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup, as well as fat-free tortillas and low-fat Mexican cheese blend, which severely cut calories and fat (in fact, when I calculated this recipe in Weight Watchers using the low-fat or fat-free subs, it's only 5 points per serving!). I didn't have cooked chicken on hand, so I threw three chicken breasts onto the George Foreman - but first I dredged them in taco seasonings! That made a huge difference I think. Then, I also added a tsp of ground cumin and a teeny pinch of cayenne to fight off any blandness from using the lower-fat subs. I also used Ro-Tel tomatoes with a little kick. My uber-picky boyfriend gobbled this up! It was fantastic! I think the seasonings really added to it. And, surprisingly (for Paula Deen), it can be made to be almost healthy! Thanks for posting this super-easy and super-tasty recipe!
Family thought this was a little bland but that doesnt stop me from 5 starring it, because it still meets my qualifications for a repeat dinner performance... Easy, Quick and inexpensive. Next time I think I will add a can of ROTEL to add some more flavor.