Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Prepare on a Sunday afternoon for dinner on Monday.
Make and share this Mexican Chicken Pasta Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta (or 12 ounces other medium pasta shape) or 12 ounces ziti pasta (or 12 ounces other medium pasta shape)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, chopped
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, Queso cheese, Jalapeno Havarti Cheese, shredded and divided
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and liquid, cumin and oregano. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain well. In bowl, combine pasta, chicken, olives, 3/4 cup cheese and sauce. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover loosely with foil and bake until warmed through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.