This is one of my favorite grilling recipes. I make this often when our mangoes are in season, but feel free to use papaya which is equally as good, and if you don't like either of those, peaches will also work. And if you don't like the fruit ... try red peppers - it isn't quite the same but will be ok as a substitute. I like to marinate the chicken 1-4 hours, the longer the better, but don't over marinate, you still want to taste the chicken. Then skewer with the fresh fruit and onion, grill and serve with the queso blanco sauce. This couldn't be easier. Now, you can use any of your favorite recipes for the Queso Blanco sauce or dip, but mine is basically the same as another Zaar recipe already posted, so this is his recipe, Queso Blanco Mexican White Cheese Dip, which I have made and I enjoyed it very much and recommend - See my review. This is a great recipe for a crowd when on a budget, or for that matter ... not on a budget. However it is a great cost saver! Use chicken thighs rather than breasts and even stretch out the budget further by adding, not only mango or papaya, but the red pepper and maybe some pineapple. Add rice to the menu, (I prefer a yellow rice, but white is fine) and toss in a few scallions for color, make Sarasota's Spicy Simple Black Beans and Fresh Greens, Avocado With a Lime Vinaigrette and you have a 4 course meal. Good enough for company and easy but full of flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g chicken, cut in cubes try to make them all the same size so they cook equally (I prefer a mix of boneless breasts and thighs, 1-inch cubes for skewers)
- 2 mangoes, cut in 1-inch cubes (make sure it isn't too ripe, you want sweet but firm, papaya is a good substitute)
- 1-2 red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 3 medium onions, cut in quarters
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- 29.58-36.97 ml Mexican seasoning (See Mexican Seasoning Recipe Below, If you have a favorite dry rub or seasoning, you can use that as)
- wooden skewer (soaked in water for 30 min, so they don't burn)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
Mexican Seasoning or Dry Rub
- 1Dry Rub -- Mix all the ingredients in a small ziploc baggie and store until ready to use. I keep mine right in a small baggie in my spice cabinet, but you can use a small tupperware or spice bottle. It keeps great in your pantry or spice cabinet.
- 2Chicken -- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large baggie along with chicken and shake to coat all the chicken with the oil. Add in the 2-21/2 tablespoons of the dry rub seasoning and shake well to combine well. Let marinate.
- 3Skewer -- I like to use the large wooden skewers and alternate chicken, mango or papaya, red pepper if you are adding that, and onion. Just leave a little room in between the chicken pieces so they cook evenly. Don't over fill your skewer.
- 4Grill -- I always season my grill with either a non stick spray or oil before starting so the chicken will not stick. Medium high coals or heat. They don't take to long. Make sure to get a good sear or grill marks on each side before turning. Mine usually take about 5-7 minutes per side. Cook until the juices run clear. Don't overcook.
- 5Serve -- I usually start the queso sauce right before I start grilling the chicken so it is done when the chicken is. Serve the chicken over rice with the lime wedges so you can squeeze the lime right over the chicken. My Black Beans Recipe listed above (which can even be made the day before) is great with this and makes an easy dinner or my Salad with Lime Vinaigrette(also listed above) is a nice side and again (prepare the vinaigrette ahead), so it is just a few ingredients and you have a quick salad. ENJOY!
- 6Note: Prep time does not include time to marinate chicken.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken & Mango Skewers With a Queso Blanco Dip
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 34.5 mg
- Sodium 238.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: