Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here's another recipe from my Betty Crocker recipe file box that I got in the '70s. Some of the ingredients and techniques, on some of these old recipes seem a little antiquated today, but many can be updated for todays palate, and available ingredients. I'm writing this recipe exactly as written, but.you can adjust to personal taste. Also the original recipe says it serves 4, yet it calls for 6 legs with thighs attached? I'd say it serves 6.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 6 chicken legs, plus thighs attached
- 1 pineapple, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Mix all ingredients, except chicken and pineapple.
- Place chicken, bone side down, about 4 inches from hot coals.
- Cook about 40 minutes, turning and brushing frequently with tomato mixture. Serve with grilled pineapple.
- Grilled Pineapple:.
- Select ripe pineapple. Cut off top, but do not pare.(peel). Cut pineapple lengthwise into 8 wedges. Place wedges in 13x9x2 inch dish. Drizzel 3 tblsp honey over fruit, and let stand 1 hour, turning occasionally. Place skin side down on grill about 3 inches from medium coals, and cook 15-20 minutes, or until pineaple is steaming. Serve as a side with chicken.
- Note: You could sub pineapple slices for the fresh wedges, just adjust the grilling time. I believe the parsley is for fresh, but if you don't have it, you can sub 1- 2 tsp dried.