Recipe by Bobbie
A good friend shared this recipe with me. It's a little time consuming, but a lot of the preparation can be done ahead of time -- and don't we all love that!
- 8 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 8 slices monterey jack cheese (1 oz. each)
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup broth
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound each breast half to 1/4" tickness. Put 2 T. of chilies and 1 slice of cheese on each breast, leaving a slight edge. Roll up the breasts tightly and tuck in the ends. Secure with heavy thread or toothpicks.
- Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt, cumin and pepper. First, roll the breasts in the melted butter - then dip in the crumb mixture. Gently pat the crumbs into the breasts. Place in a baking dish AND REFRIGERATE at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove string or toothpicks. Bake breasts for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place some of the tomato sauce on bottom of serving platter; top with chicken breasts with a little more sauce and sprinkle with about 2 T. parsley. Pass remaining sauce with chicken.
- SPICY TOMATO SAUCE:.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper. Saute util soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except parsley. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Puree in food processor or blender. Return to saucepan and reduce if too thin. Stir in remaining parsley just before serving.
- Note: I have also baked the chicken breasts until almost done and then poured the sauce over it and continued baking until done. Also, if using as a potluck dish or on a buffet, I slice each chicken roll into 4 or 5 slices.
- PREP TIME DOES NOT INCLUDE THE REFRIGERATION TIME.