Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
A heartier version of chicken tortilla soup, mimicking Mexican Gumbo from Qdoba.
- 3 lbs cubed cooked chicken (boiled)
- 1 (49 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (26 ounce) carton chicken stock
- 2 (28 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet ranch dip mix
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 large limes or 2 small limes
- diced fresh cilantro
- sour cream (garnish)
- shredded Mexican blend cheese (garnish)
- avocado (garnish)
- corn tortilla strips (garnish)
- Cilantro Lime Rice: Prepare enough white rice to yield 3 cups cooked rice. Zest 1 large (or 2 small) limes over cooked rice. Add the juice of the lime/limes. Add in diced cilantro. Mix together thoroughly and cover, let sit for 1 hour to set.
- Boil 3lbs of chicken. Let cool, then cube. Set aside.
- In a skillet, sweat diced onion and garlic in olive oil over low heat until they are translucent and have a soft texture. Set aside.
- Dump both cans black beans into colander and rinse. Set aside.
- In large cooking pot, combine chicken broth, chicken stock, petit diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, cubed chicken, onions and garlic, and packet of ranch dip mix. After the rice has set, add it to the pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for one hour, or until soup is desired temperature.
- Serve garnished with sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese, diced avocado, and tortilla strips.
This is a delicious recipe, especially for cilantro lovers. It was a big hit with kids and adults for our Christmas Eve dinner. I served it with pork and chicken tamales. The recipe says it serves 12, but the servings are generous and we do have some leftover for after-Christmas. I'll be making this jazzed-up tortilla soup again. I'm certainly glad it was so good because I shared it on my blog before I'd tried it out. http://thegumbodiaries.wordpress.com/