Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A simple, flavorful dish that uses ingredients I usually have on hand, from eatchicken.com
Make and share this Mexican Chicken & Grits Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and cayenne pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup grits
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3 ounces shredded gouda cheese or 3 ounces other cheese
- In large, nonstick skillet sprayed with no stick cooking spray cook chicken over medium-high heat until well-browned and firm. Drain excess fat. Add onion to skillet and saute until lightly browned and tender. Reduce heat to low, stir in flour and then gradually whisk in evaporated milk and sour cream. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and stir in corn, diced tomatoes and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish and smooth the top.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour grits over the chicken. Bake 30 minutes, until the grits have set and the filling begins to bubble.
- To prepare Grits:.
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool somewhat before stirring in milk, egg and cheese.