2 hrs 35 mins
I have had many different variations of enchiladas...but this is by far the best enchilada as it gets for me. My mother has been making it for years, she got this recipe from her Hispanic brother in law. This is to feed a very large group or family.. It is well worth the time and effort....I promise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs chicken wings, leg, and thigh assortment (thawed if frozen)
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 of a onion (sliced)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 whole head of lettuce (shredded)
- 2 whole onions (chopped)
- 3 cups monterey jack pepper cheese (shredded)
- 3 cups colby-monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (10 -14 ounce) cans olives (chopped )
- of old el paso enchilada sauce (mild or hot..your preference)
- 2 (30 count) packages corn tortillas (white corn)
- 1Place thawed chicken into a 7-10 qt pot. Pour fresh water into pot until the water covers all the chicken + 6 inches more of water. Place pot on burner.
- 2Put in the 5 bay leaves, 3 tbsp garlic, 1/2 of a onion, 2 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes.
- 3Boil on medium-high ( covered ) for 1 hour 20 min or until chicken falls off bone easily.
- 4Once chicken is cooked, place into a very large bowl. Place in fridge for 20 min to cool down for easy handling.
- 5While cooling down, drain half the broth and boil the rest uncovered.
- 6Take chicken out of fridge, begin shredding apart each piece by hand, discarding fat, bones, and knuckles. Make sure you have discarded all of the bones and knuckles.
- 7Add the lettuce, 2 whole chopped onions, 1 1/2 C pepper jack and 1 1/2 C colby jack cheese, powdered garlic, pepper, salt, chili powder, 1 can olives. Mix until well incorperated. Set Aside.
- 8Spray lightly 3 13x9 inch pans ( or 4-5 8x8 pans) with cooking spray.
- 9Pour in all enchilada sauce into pot with boiled broth, mix, turn down heat to medium-low.
- 10Get another person to assist you.
- 11Place and single corn tortilla on a wide spatula, place lightly into sauce, leave in no more than 5 seconds. Place tortilla into greased pan, fill with 1/4 c chicken mixture, roll up as tightly as you can without tearing.
- 12Repeat process until all tortillas and pans are used. Make sure each enchilada is place tightly, and close to eachother.
- 13Pour remaining sauce, cheese, and olives all over prepared enchiladas, cover with tin foil.
- 14Place in oven at 350 F for 35 min, broil HI the last 5 minutes uncovered.
- 15Cool, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 16Serve with sour cream, salsa, green onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Enchiladas (Restaurant Style)
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1579.6
- Calories from Fat 857
- Total Fat 95.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 335.9 mg
- Sodium 2806.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 94.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: