This is my version of a most requested chowder here in Southern Indiana. DH and I adore lots of flavor, so this is our Arizona/Indiana take on corn chowder.
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup corn (frozen, or canned)
- 1 cup chicken breast (cut in 1/2-1-inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 small bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (2 ounce) can pimientos
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Sauté hash browns and chicken until chicken is no longer pink; set aside.
- Sauté corn, green onions, bell pepper, canned green chili's and pimento for 3-4 minutes. Add evaporated milk, whole milk, salt and pepper to skillet; Cook over medium heat until soup consistency reaches your liking.
- Sprinkle 3-4 crisp corn tortillas in base of soup bowl and spoon chicken chowder mixture on top. Sprinkle soup with shredded cheddar cheese and more crisp tortillas as your heart desires.
This was such a simple soup and very tasty. I used a Mexican 4-blend cheese that worked very well. I added a little bit of spicy Mrs. Dash to the leftovers to give it a bit of a bite. Thanks BakinBaby for a nice lunch. Made for Photo Tag.
This was really flavorful and delicious. I had some leftover rotisserie chicken, so used that for the chicken, but otherwise made as directed. A good tasty easy dish to add to my repertoire.