This is my version of a most requested chowder here in Southern Indiana. DH and I adore lots of flavor, so this is our Arizona/Indiana take on corn chowder.
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup corn (frozen, or canned)
- 1 cup chicken breast (cut in 1/2-1-inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 small bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (2 ounce) can pimientos
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Sauté hash browns and chicken until chicken is no longer pink; set aside.
- Sauté corn, green onions, bell pepper, canned green chili's and pimento for 3-4 minutes. Add evaporated milk, whole milk, salt and pepper to skillet; Cook over medium heat until soup consistency reaches your liking.
- Sprinkle 3-4 crisp corn tortillas in base of soup bowl and spoon chicken chowder mixture on top. Sprinkle soup with shredded cheddar cheese and more crisp tortillas as your heart desires.