Recipe by Linajjac
1997 Grand Prize Winner Mexican Chicken-Chili Tart Hamilton Norton Jacksonville, FL *I'm unsure of the
Top Review by Twiggyann
Very tasty. My husband, in fact, gave this the highest compliment possible. I offered him some salsa on the side and he declined it saying it didn't need anything. I made this following the recipe exactly. The tart shell was very good. A touch of a bite but nothing that would scare off someone who prefers less spice. This will be made again and again and again. Thanks Linaj!
- 4 goldkist farms boneless skinless chicken breasts, split (about 2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups shredded jalapeno pepper cheese, divided
- 1 cup corn (about 1, 11-ounce can)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion, including tops (about 6 onions)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and refrigerate while preparing tart crust.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine flour, cumin, chili powder, paprika, red pepper, garlic powder and salt in food processor bowl. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, or use pastry blender to cut in butter. Add ice water and hot pepper sauce and pulse or stir with a fork until mixture forms a ball.
- Press dough onto bottom and partially up sides of 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Line tart shell with foil and fill with raw rice or dried beans to weight the shell.
- Bake in center of preheated oven 10 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil with rice, and return tart shell to oven to bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on rack while making filling.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet, add chicken and sauté until done. Stir in cumin, chili powder and salt; set aside.
- Puree 1 cup of the black beans and 2 tablespoons sour cream in food processor or blender. Spread mixture over bottom of cooled crust.
- Top with half of the cooked chicken, one cup of the hot pepper cheese, corn, red bell pepper, green onions, remaining cup black beans, remaining chicken, and remaining cup hot pepper cheese.
- Sprinkle top of tart with cheddar cheese and bake in preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes or until heated throughout and cheese is melted.
- Let tart cool 15 minutes.
- To serve, remove tart from pan and place on serving dish. Serve warm or at room temperature with sour cream, if desired.