Recipe by Lou
I found this recipe online, and altho I did a search trying to find it again, I couldn't. It was on a ladys site, and she sure has a winner! this is absolutely delicious! Those who are sick and tired of Mexican chicken with two or more cans of soup will love this! I used those Tostitos, light tortilla chips, and crumbled them in the bottom and on top before adding the cheese.
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into strips
- 1 bell pepper, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, pepper (or one green chili I used dried jalapeno)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used light)
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (omit or add as desired,) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups tortillas or 1 1⁄2 cups nacho chips
- guacamole, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil chicken strips until done. About 20-30 minutes.
- While it is cooking, chop the onion, pepper,jaapeno, and tomatoes and set aside.
- When chicken is done, cool slightly and shred with a fork.
- Add the onions and peppers with the shredded chicken into a skillet and add the butter, and water.Salt and pepper to taste, and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add enchilada sauce, chili powder and cayenne. Simmer 5 minutes.
- If the mix isn't juicy enough you can add a little more water.
- Stir in the sour cream and mix well.
- In an 8x8 casserole dish, put some crushed tortillasor nachos in bottom. Add the chicken mix on top,and spread the diced tomatoes and put on the mix.
- Mix cheeses and spread on top.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or til cheese is melted.