This is an easy-to-make southwest chicken dish you can serve on a week night or is good enough for company. You can use healthy ingredients and make it as spicy as you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 cups cubed) or 3 -4 chicken thighs (about 2 cups cubed)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 hot chili pepper, diced (poblano, serrano, jalepeno)
- 1 (15 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1Cut up chicken into two-inch cubes or so.
- 2In a heavy skillet, saute chicken in oil over medium heat until it starts to brown but not cooked through (about 3-4 minutes).
- 3Add garlic, onions, and peppers and saute 2-3 more minutes.
- 4Add enchilada sauce, canned tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and optional beans.
- 5Cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes until bubbly and sauce begins to thicken. Sauce will be pretty thin.
- 6Spray an 8x8 baking pan with oil and line pan with corn tortillas.
- 7Top with 1/3 sauce and cheese.
- 8Top with a second layer of tortillas, 1/3 sauce, and cheese.
- 9Repeat ending in a layer of sauce and cheese.
- 10Place in oven and heat until bubbly (about 15 minutes). Let stand for 5 minutes. Slice into portions and serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.9
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 115.9 mg
- Sodium 1580.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 40.5 g