Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
Using left-over chicken, you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. We usually top our servings with sour cream and chopped onions for a little crunch.
Top Review by jnpj
I thought this was a pretty good casserole. I decided to try it because it was a bit of a different take on the leftover chicken casserole. I made Recipe #38719 and used it instead of buying a package. I also never have instant rice, so I just cooked regular rice until it was within a couple of minutes of being done. Then I threw it all in with the rest of the ingredients and cooked as stated in the recipe. The end result tasted great! I took the advice of a previous reviewer and made burritos out of the leftovers and a little bit of extra cheese. Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix, powder
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup green peppers or 1⁄4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups tortilla chips, crushed divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine onion, water, soup, chili powder mix, pre-cooked chicken, cumin, uncooked rice, and peppers in pan and cook approximately 10-15 minutes on low heat until rice is tender.
- Line prepared baking dish with 1 cup crushed tortilla chips. Pour in chicken mixture. Top with cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of tortilla chips.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.