Recipe by Derf
Easy, tasty, great weeknight casserole, freezes nicely too! (Adapted from Company's Comming Low-Fat cooking)
Top Review by MarlaM
We loved this dish! I've never made a chicken dish with rice, so I was a little skeptical, because I hate over cooked chicken. I was so surprised at how tender and juicy the chicken was and how delicious this caserole turned out! I didn't have any jalapenos, or mexican style tomatoes, so I used fire roasted diced tomatoes and added about a 1/4 cup of green chili salsa instead. I added a bit more chili powder, cuz we love it, about a tsp of salt and 3 cubed chicken breast halves. We got about 10 good sized servings - we had it for dinner, I took it to lunch the next day, had leftovers for dinner the next night (I added a bit of cheddar - YUM) and again for lunch the following day! I like that this is pretty healthy and low fat, too! I will definitely make this again! Thanks!
- 354.88 ml long grain rice, white, uncooked (I used brown basmati rice)
- 2 (793.78 g) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, with juice, broken up
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 354.88 ml water (or low fat chicken broth)
- 907.18 g boneless skinless chicken, pieces, all visible fat removed
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice in bottom of lightly greased 3 litre casserole dish, I sprayed the dish with veggie spray.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion,jalapeno pepper, chili powder and water in medium bowl; stir well. Pour half the tomato mixture over the rice; arrange chicken pieces on top of tomato layer and top with remaining tomato mixture; top with cilantro.
- Bake, covered, in 325f degree oven for 1 1/2 hours until chicken and rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed. Garnish with more cilantro if you wish.